Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Benefits of Being a Mentor

Why would I want to mentor someone? I have enough trouble selling books (editing books, writing books) without giving all my secrets away from free. Here are some reasons to consider mentoring:

  • Broader understanding of the publishing industry and writing community, obtained by seeing it through the eyes of someone less entrenched.
  • More readers, achieved by increasing the quality of books and the genre in general.
  • A better understanding of diverse backgrounds, providing a better understanding of readers.
  • Satisfaction from helping someone else.
  • Improved self-awareness.
  • Improved ability to order thoughts and to transfer knowledge.

2 comments:

Warren Baldwin said...

Timothy,

Man, you need more followers. Your writing and ideas are too good to not have a ton of followers here.

On my blog (please visit Family Fountain) I have a gadget on the bottom right called "Writing Helps." I link articles that are helpful for beginning writers. I'd like to feature a couple of yours there. Would you send me the links to two or three of your favorite articles that you have written about any aspect of writing? You can take them from this blog or your other one I just visited and commented on.

Thanks.

Warren

Timothy Fish said...

Warren,

Thanks for the vote of appreciation. In the case of this particular blog, it is very new and I have done nothing to promote it, so the lack of followers is to be expected.

I'll have to get back to you on the couple of articles.

Timothy